Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Studies so far put to good use

Among the craziness of trying to tie up loose ends before I leave for the UK, I was 'hired' by my mum to select the colour scheme and wall and window treatments for their big 6 bedroom home which they are in the process of re-decorating. I figured it would be fun and a bit of practical experience for my interior design studies. Currently, they have a very cold pale greyish blue colour on her walls with a large brick wall as their 'feature wall' in the formal lounge. Although they have loads of big windows, the majority of them are either south or east facing meaning they don't get much light during the peak of the day, so I've chosen a very pale (some would say white) muted yellow based paint to warm the house up a bit.
Photobucket
Living room brick wall
Photobucket
One of the soon to be 'feature' walls
Mum wanted feature walls so instead painting random walls in block colours (which I find to be kind of outdated and sometimes garish) I've chosen a nice cream coloured grass cloth to feature on selected walls throughout the house as well as on the stairwell where Ive suggested installing a dado rail and only covering the bottom half of the wall in the same grasscloth. With the majority of the house being tiled, I think this would definitely soften the spaces up a bit and will mirror the texture and shades of the big brick feature wall. My parents have very simple, classic taste so here are a few sample pics I showed them of how I visualised the overall feel of the house to be. They loved it! The decorators arrive tomorrow to start painting so we're very excited to see the finishing result!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Now I won't be applying this to any of the spaces in my parent's place but I thought I'd share this amazing product I came across during my research into the perfect wall covering. Its a product by Crezana called Liquid Metal Grasscloth. It's so opulent and could easily be OTT when teamed with the wrong surfaces and accessories but I love how it's styled in this image right down to the very last detail of the framed child's drawing on the wall. Definitely adding it to my inspiration images for one of my upcoming design assignments. Perfection!
Photobucket
xx Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment